About This Funding Call
British Council Saudi is launching a call for a UK-Saudi Challenge Fund. This call is part of the British Council’s Going Global Partnerships programme, which supports partnerships between universities, colleges, education policymakers, civil society organisations and industry partners in the UK and around the world. UK and Saudi institutions are invited to bid for funding to initiate teaching and learning collaborations.
The purpose of this call is to foster further collaboration between the UK and Saudi higher education institutions. It is part of the work of the British Council in higher education, which aims to extend, strengthen, and deepen connections between the UK education sector and governments and institutions around the world.
Grants of £25,000 – £75,000 will be awarded to UK universities, or consortia of universities, to Partner with universities or consortia of universities from Saudi Arabia for running projects that will support greater research collaboration, internationalisation of HE institutions and transnational education (TNE). Saudi higher education institutions are eligible to apply for the funding too.
We encourage HE institutions to consider the below thematic areas in their submission:
- Clean Energy & Environment
- Engineering & Cyber-security
- Arts & culture
All UK universities and Saudi universities are eligible to submit proposals for the funding. Universities in both the private and public sectors.
Total Funding and Project Duration
Funding between £25,000 – £75,000 will be awarded for each successful proposal covering the whole project duration.
Duration of the grant:
Projects in receipt of funding will be expected to start in April 2022 and can run for a maximum of one year (until March 2023).
Considering the impact and outcomes that GGP aims to achieve as outlined above, priority considerations will therefore be given to project proposals that demonstrate:
- Potential growth for Saudi and the UK research & innovation and TNE (e.g., creation of a new research project or TNE programmes)
- Creation of real value to the UK (e.g., development of favourable policies and strategies)
- Access to other funding sources, including the in-kind contribution that supports the delivery of project activities and ensures sustainability.
- Creation of innovative services or products
- Creation of benefits that apply to the wider HE sectors (e.g., publication sharing, international best practice)
All proposals will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Potential to deliver GGP's impact and outcomes (30 points)
- Alignment with grant strategic objectives (30 points)
- Principal Applicant and its Partner's capacity to deliver on time and within budget (40 points)
See Appendix 6: Scoring Form for a more detailed explanation of each criterion.
How to apply
Please download and review all the documents from the downloads section.
You will need to complete the Application Form (Appendix 1) along with all supporting documentation (Appendix 2, Appendix 5 and Letters of Support) and email them to Mahmoud Mouselli, Director of Programmes & Projects, British Council Saudi Arabia firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest by Monday 31 January 2022.
31 January 2022, 16.00 UK time
All queries or comments about this call should be addressed to Mahmoud Mouselli, Director of Programmes & Projects, British Council Saudi Arabia.